Sunday 29 June 2014

Just. One. More. Hill.

A weekend in Wales allowed me to finish off my climbing training with some peaks that whilst not being a patch on the Alps, certainly present a stiffer test than Surrey.

On Saturday I rode the short distance to Llangynidr mountain to give my legs a good test. The climb itself is 6km at an average gradient of 7%. Very alpine - especially with a few ramps of 11-14% hidden within. Knocked 5mins off my PB, then descended down to Llangattock at breakneck speed before spinning back along the valley. 

Instead of heading straight home though, I took on the dead-end road that leads up towards Tor-y-Foel mountain. This is a single track road with a poor surface, and many double-digit percentage ramps which get up to 16% along the 4km climb. Climbing out-of-the-saddle proved tricky in places with the back wheel slipping on the poor road surface and the liberal coating of sheep poo. The final ramp was a killer, but I got over the top, and was rewarded with a magnificent view of the reservoir in the valley below.


On Sunday, I got up early to ride up the road along the side of the reservoir, and tackle the climb at the far end. I knew the climb was steep, having descended it before on other rides, but the sign at the bottom showed that I had a stiff test in front of me:


Whilst not being 20% all the way up, the gradient remains in double figures for the full 1.5km, and that's a long time to stay out of the saddle. 


I wheezed my way to the top, and down the other side before turning around and cycling back the way I came. After descending it was into TT mode all the way home.

Less than a week to go now, and I just want to get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment