Monday 17 March 2014

What Would Jens Voigt Do?

I'm getting increasingly worried about the lack of improvement in my performance through the early part of the year, which led me to wonder whether I'm pushing myself hard enough. The distances ridden seem OK, but maybe I'm just coasting around a bit to leave plenty of energy for the end of the ride.

Which brings Jens' mentality into the equation. Jens doesn't coast. Jens attacks. Always.

Jens. Not Coasting.

So on Saturday, I decided to give the 'classic' 87km ride of Ranmore-Crocknorth-Box Hill the full beans all the way round. It went well, and although the climbs were relatively slow (Crocknorth seemed to rear up like Jedward's quiffs), I kept pushing hard on the pedals and eventually finished with an average speed of 26.6km/h. Not bad for a lone rider in a stiff swirling wind.

Despite jelly legs the next morning, I couldn't pass up a day in the sunshine so I went to Richmond Park to give 3 laps everything I had left. The list of excuses for being nowhere near my best included the aforementioned tired legs, a head cold, heavy traffic (cars and bikes) and that stiff wind again blowing into my face between Roehampton Gate and Cancellara Corner, but still I gave it full commitment, so hopefully that will pay off.

Despite appearances, I am tired...

No comments:

Post a Comment