Thursday 22 May 2014

Tommy

Provence and Mt Ventoux beckon on Sunday, and it's impossible to think of that ride without considering Tom Simpson, and his untimely fate on the mountain in the 1967 Tour de France.


I remember Tommy being in my thoughts a lot last year when I ascended the mountain for the first time, and I have no doubt that it will be the same this time round.

Whilst obviously never pushing myself as hard as Tommy did on the day he died, climbing the Ventoux does put you on the limit of your abilities, and you are therefore able to garner the smallest glimpse of what Tom pushed himself to and beyond in the pursuit of his ambition.

The epitaph on his gravestone in Harworth, Notts reads:

"His body ached, his legs grew tired, but still he would not give in"

And that's all the inspiration you need...

No comments:

Post a Comment