Monday 3 February 2014

Double Ton.... Almost

Set out on Saturday morning with the intention of doing my first 100-mile ride of the year. Pedalled down to Surrey and had a stab at Box Hill straight away, being sure to keep my heartrate low and not expend all my energy too soon. After that, I begun to work my way into the sussex downs only to find my route blocked by a flooded road (when will it stop raining?). A hastily-chosen detour turned up the same problem 2km later, so a major re-think was needed.

Ended up scooting along the A25 to Shere, climbing south to Ewhurst before looping round to Leith Hill. After the descent I went back along to Shere to do the climb to Ewhurst again before heading for Dorking then back up Box and home.

I struggled to remain mentally strong as the halfway mark of the ride passed as I continued to burrow into the very strong headwind, and with my thighs beginning to burn. But as soon as I reached Box I felt my spirits and energy levels lift (this may have had something to do with the gel I took). With the wind finally at my back I knocked off the 30km home quite comfortably. Was shattered when I got back, but was sure I had enough in the tank to have done another 15km which would've taken me to the magic 100 mile mark.

As it was, I spent about six-and-a-half hours on the bike, and did 145km and climbed 2,200m. Not bad for the start of February.

With very stiff thighs the next day, I welcomed a spin around Richmond Park with Emily. Didn't try to do anything other than turn the legs at an easy pace, and climb slowly but out of the saddle (needing to improve upper body strength)

A lovely afternoon in the sunshine, that bought my total km's ridden in the weekend to within a whisker of 200km. A good step forward.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lee! Always good to hear from a fellow 2013 Etaper

    It looks as though your Marmotte training is progressing solidly with these 200km weekends! If you're free March 2nd we'll all be out for The Puncheur Sportive (just north of Brighton, culminating with a Ditchling Beacon finish).

    Would be great to reminisce about the Etape.... & test ourselves against a future Marmotter ;) Get yourself signed up!

    All the best, Russell

    ReplyDelete