Friday 15 November 2013

Don't Sweat The Technique

Following my ruminations below on my current shortcomings, I have invested a considerable amount of time researching climbing technique and how to improve it. The following article seems to back up what I had identified as my problems with hill-climbing - it appears that I am a 'masher', when I need to be a 'spinner'

The article lays out everything really well (apart from indentifying the real reasons behind Lance's climbing ability!), and the problems associated with being a 'masher' do ring true with me (high heart rate, low cadence, lactic acid build-up)

So my course of action is clear - my next few training rides should be used to get used to pedalling at a higher cadence (both on hills and the flat). Once I'm comfortable with that, then I will have a better idea of how my HR will respond to the new technique when the road points at the sky.

Click here for Mark Consugar on climbing

No comments:

Post a Comment