Monday 15 April 2013

Springtime in Surrey

Despite a resilient wind, spring appears to have arrived properly so Emily and I headed down to Surrey on Saturday. Of course, by claiming she 'didn't know the way' she cycled behind me and used me as a very effective wind-break for most of the ride. It was Em's first time cycling on the Surrey Downs and as I waited for her at the top of Ranmore, I was expecting her to be cursing my name (again), but instead a smiling Emily came round the corner and carried on past me without bothering to stop!

From there we looped back round to Box Hill and I revved up for an attempt at my PB. For a change no-one passed me on the climb and there were plenty of rabbits to chase down. 8 minutes to the top meant 30 secs off my PB and the promise of a reward. Arrived at the cafe to find about £1m worth of carbon bikes and a very long queue for tea & cake - obviously we were not the only ones taking advantage of the weather.



After refuelling, and with the wind finally at our backs, we easily knocked off the 30km to home, even cruising the roads around Morden at about 40km/h

83km done, 1,250m climbed, and at a decent pace too. Good ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment