Monday 18 March 2013

Glory's not gonna come looking for you

Only 27kms at high intensity on the turbo trainer during the week meant I seriously needed to up my game at the weekend. Unfortunately I couldn't pass up the opportunity to travel to Cardiff on Saturday to watch Wales pummel England in the 6 Nations, so it was all about Sunday.

Woke up to cold, blustery and wet conditions, meaning another turbo session beckoned. But knowing that what I need is time 'on the rivet', not more fitness work, I manned up and went to Richmond Park.

By the 2nd lap my feet were soaked and frozen, and I was ready to call it a day but I decided to do just one more circuit. As I turned into the wind at Cancellara Corner on that 3rd lap though, I found myself recalling this recent story about Taylor Phinney

If Taylor can grind it out up and down mountains in s**t weather on his own, I'm sure I can do one more lap, so that's what I did. I don't reckon that's the last time this story will inspire me to push just a little harder.

In the end I did 2 1/2 hours and 63.5km at an average speed of 25km/h. Nice to do some climbs too, albeit short ones. Noticed how good my new wheels are too, as I was back to my standard winter wheels for this ride.

Also noticed a distinct lack of deer in the park, maybe the cull was too effective...

No comments:

Post a Comment